". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hymn Singing in Brazzaville

Pastor May recently made these available on YouTube. I think Phillip will be offering some reflections on them in due time, but I can't wait until then to share them with you. Aren't they wonderful? And isn't it incredible to think of our brothers and sisters in Christ on the other side of the world singing with such joy and enthusiasm the same hymns and liturgy that we do here in the USA? (Would that all of our churches always sang these songs with the energy and gusto you see here. And without an organ, no less. Imagine that.)

You will notice that Phillip is not leading the singing in these videos. That is because once his teaching was done it was important that others take over as songleaders. He was only there for 9 days, after all (of which there were only about 7 days of actual teaching). The goal was to help our fellow Lutherans in Brazzaville embrace these songs long after he and Pastor May left. I don't think that's going to be a problem, do you?

C'est un Rempart que Notre Dieu (A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)



Ecoute l'appel de Dieu (Listen, God Is Calling)



Je suis un enfant du Père (God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It)



And here's a short video of Phillip teaching some harmony parts on "Il est né"

4 comments:

Dan at Necessary Roughness said...

Great stuff. Thank you and Phillip for making these available.

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

And no trouble with Luther's rhythms on A Mighty Fortress, either ;)

Elephantschild said...

Awesome, Cheryl. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Awesome...thanks for getting that up there. Just made me smile...